Wednesday 19 October 2011

Entryway Bench - Part 3 - Channel your inner flannel!

Time to channel my inner flannel!  Instead of hand cutting eight more mortises over the next 2 or three nights I got my Norm Abrams on and made a jig for the router.  The jig allows me to cut a mortise from the top of the leg and stop at the exact same point on every cut using a 3/8" slot cutting bit with a bearing.



Clamped up and ready to be cut.



The end result, all eight mortises look exactly like this.
Then all that was required was to square up the curved end of the mortise.
I didn't screw up any measurements while cutting the sides this time so they went together like a charm.
I haven't decided which part is going to be next.  My choices are the bottom shelf rails or the front and back of the storage area.  I'm also temped to get started gluing up the top panel that makes up the seat so it'll be ready to go when I'm ready to cut it to size.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment