Friday 11 May 2012

The G-enie makes a lamp (JFL Part 2)

Someone asked me the other day, why a Japanese floor lamp?  Honestly I don't have a good reason other than "it felt right".  I was pondering what to buy or preferably what to build for our friend's wedding gift and this image popped into my head.  Once it was there I just couldn't seem to accept anything else as being good enough. It was a strange feeling and I hope it happens more often.  It was essentially a pretty accurate vision of what the end product would look like.  Unlike a lot of projects this one stayed on course with that original vision.

Here's the lumber getting used to the conditions in the shop.

I made note of flaws in the wood and began the layout ritual.
The boards have their war paint on...time for my favorite part.  To the saws!
Everything is cut roughly to size.
The 2x8 piece of Jatoba has been sliced into legs.  Note the burn marks now because they make my wallet miserable later on!
Some left overs, labeled so I don't confuse them with similar coloured but much less dense mahogany.
The pieces for the base are being test fitted here.
I ganged the parts of the base up and sanded the inside and outside edges before gluing them together.  It's a lot easier to do it now than to try to jam a random orbit sander into the square opening in the middle.  Plus I don't like sanding edges so doing four at once appeals to me.
Glued and clamped.
...And clamped some more so there's no twisting.

That's the bottom layer of the base done.

I've learned that sanding jatoba leads to a surface so smooth that you can see reflections in it.  I've also by now learned how hard this material is.  My post "Jatoba...Japanese Steel or Brazilian Hardwood" is what came next.

-G!



No comments:

Post a Comment