Thursday 13 October 2011

Entryway Bench - Part 2 - Amateur Hour

Hand cut mortises.  Guess which one I started on.  Things got better as I learned some technique.

I've cut out the side rails and shaped the tenons for the bottom shelf.  Anyone see a problem here?
The right rail was done by eyeballing the pencil lines on the table saw's dado blade.  For the left side I took the total length of the board and subtracted the length of one tenon.  I then set the fence to this point being sure to account for the width of the stop block.

What I forgot to account for was the width of the dado blade.  The ruler for the fence is set to the edge of an 1/8" kerf blade.  I had a 1/4" dado stack in the saw.  So the tenons are both 1/8" too long and when the extra is trimmed off the board is 1/4" too short.

Repeat!

Much better!

Lastly here's an idea of where we're going to end up.  I dry fitted the legs and added the templates for the rails and the curved top.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment